[Gpdd] [CARE] <re: Choosing a Piggie Friend for Daphne>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 21:01:30 EST 2004

God this next digest is going to be all my posts!!

Hi Pat,
Congratulations on your new pig. First, I would
strongly recommend NOT letting your sow interact with
the young boys. Boys are often capable of impregnating
sows at 4 weeks of age. Boys can be neutered - but
surgery with guinea pigs is risky. My vet does not
neuter boars younger than four months. I actually
found an experienced vet who spayed and neutered a
sister and brother pig of mine. It is risky, and my
decision depended on the cost, and most importantly
the particular vet and his experience/success rate.
www.cavyspirit.com has a good information section on
neutering. Personally, I would wait and look for an
older female pig in your area. Are you in the U.S? Try
looking at www.petfinder.com , www.cavyrescue.com ,
and www.gpan.net .

How much a pig should eat - I give my pigs a measured
amount of pellets daily. Too much pellets can
contribute to obesity. The most important part of
their diet is unlimited grass hay like timothy hay.
Since your sow is under 8 months, you will want to
give her a pellet based in alfalfa hay as opposed to
timothy hay, which is for adults. Daily veggies are
also a must.

HAve fun,
Lauren, Pooh Bear and Piglet

=====
EACH YEAR in the United States, MILLIONS of healthy companion animals are euthanized simply because they can not find homes.
Adopt a homeless pet.
Become a foster home.
Have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!