[Gpdd] Misc - Questions about Little John for Jocelyn!

Nicola Atkins sunnyhunny964 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 19 08:44:05 EST 2004

Hi Jocelyn!

Little John is absolutely beautiful and that is a fantastic picture! What
excellent quality! Mine is supposed to be a 4mp digital camera, yet my
pictures never come out that good! Maybe it's down to the person behind the
camera?! :-)

As for the issue of getting a piggie friend, I would do it as soon as
possible, especially if you plan to get another boar (male), as from my
experience, they are best kept in pairs right from birth, or the same
litter, or as young as you can possibly introduce them. If the male has
already been with another sow (female) or if there is one nearby, this can
lead to huge fights between the two males in the same cage, but if neither
male has mixed with a female or had female contact, and both are roughly the
same age, you should be fine.

My first two males, Cuddles and Guiness, were bought from the same pet shop,
at the same time, and had already been cagemates, so we were fine with them.
As soon as a female came in to the equation, even though she lived in a
seperate cage a few feet from both males, they started 'burring' constantly,
and fighting like cat and dog, so after that we had to seperate them
permanently.

Much the best bet is to get a female companion, and to have one of them
spayed or neutered. The male and the female should live quite happily
together - we had a male and a female live together, and they had a very
happy and contented life together. If you do get another male, just play it
by ear and keep an eye on them!!

Hope this helps :-)

Nicola and Harvey