[Gpdd] Re: HEALTH: scratching (for Carla and Bud)

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Sat Nov 20 13:53:54 EST 2004

Carla, it's possible that Bud might have a yeast infection that is making
him itch.  Our Joey has problems with this; he is a Texel, and yeast
thrives in such long and wild hair.  Although Bud is a shorthair, his dense
fur might also allow yeast to grow.

If you look closely at Bud's skin, you might notice some black flakes,
which would indicate a yeast problem.

If it is a yeast problem, I'd suggest Malaseb shampoo, which probably is
available at your vet's office.  It says it's for dogs, but my vet
recommended it for Joey and it has worked very well.  Just follow the
instructions on the label and give Bud a bath with it once a week for, say,
a month.  After that, he might only need a bath once a month.

Of course, I'm sure you know this, but after his bath, make sure you dry
Bud thoroughly so he won't get a chill.

Hope this helps!

Cindy, Joey G., Sunshine, and Tumbleweed