[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: Females spraying

jturning at sbcglobal.net jturning at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 21 14:43:41 EST 2004

Hey,

Anyone notice their female Cavies using pee sprays as a defense? I've
only seen the pee sprays twice, but the behavior of the other Cavy means
it happens a lot. I have an Abyssinian and an American. The Abyssinian
is the less dominate one, and I've seen her spray little squirts of
urine strait back horizontal to the ground to keep the other one away
from her rump. Usually when she's trying to keep some food to herself.
The American must read body language because she'll stop, back off, and
lift her head moving out of the path of the sprays. The Abyssinian is a
sneaky one, always stealing food from the other. Normally the American
is overly patient, but she does buck up and assert her dominance when
she's had enough.

The Abyssinian is named Tehya, and the American is Lakota for those
interested.

--
Jason Turning
E-mail: jturning at sbcglobal.net