[Gpdd] Care: Suggestions for Royce

Jennifer Langer fairydancer at loveable.com
Sun Nov 21 17:06:53 EST 2004

Hi. This is my first time responding. I had a similar issue with my dearly departed piggy, George. I treated him for over a year with ivermectin for the scratching because the vet couldn't find any other cause. After I moved and had to find a new vet, he suggested skin biopsy. George had started scratching so much after almost 2 years of this that he started to lose hair in spots. The skin biopsy showed that he had an overgrowth of yeast in his skin, which was causing the itchiness and making George scratch. The vet guessed that in treating the mites George once had, the ivermectin may have irritated his skin. A medicated shampoo, Malaseb, used once a week in a bath very quickly stopped all his scratching. Ask your vet about this possibility. Hope this helps!

Jennifer and Adam Langer

"To find a beautiful thing, look with an open mind and heart."