[Gpdd] [Health] Scratching

rboone at gmu.edu rboone at gmu.edu
Mon Nov 22 13:25:17 EST 2004

Hi Carla,
My Henry has had scratching issues on and off his four years.  I don't know if any of this might help:

The vet said his scratching was due to the fact that he couldn't reach his oil gland (he's chunky).  She said they use  the oil to groom themselves with.  Of course if they can't reach it they can't groom with it so their skin becomes dry.

I've also discovered with him that a humidifier in the winter seems to help with his coat, and he scratches less.

He also scratches less after an oatmeal shampoo bath.  But I wait about 3 months in between-I figure excessive bathing would dry him out too.

Have you experimented with different beddings?  Maybe it's an allergy.

Good luck!
Rebecca
Henry, Phoebe, and Taylor