[Gpdd] CARE-towels vs. shavings

Susanna Brodmerkle sqrtcookies at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 16:31:40 EST 2004

I was wondering-for those of you who keep your pigs on towels, is there a tendency to "go" on the carpets, etc. when they are down for free time? I have decided that this is a great idea, but my house is rented and my landlord would throw a fit if he even knew that they were loose some of the time (he knows nothing about animals!). So if they do pee on carpet more, then that would be a bad idea. Also-when you use a litterbox, do you put shavings in it, or towels (same reasoning here)? The pig who's cage is on the floor hops back in his cage pretty good when he needs to do something-not always, but fairly regularly. Oddly enough I think that my other pig (a rescue with a bad history-person I got her from rescued her from a FILTHY cage outside and surrounded by cats, but she has a 5 yr old and 10 yr old boy-both were screaming at the top of their lungs when I called about her, and her cage was in their room, RIGHT next to the TV-poor pig, no wonder she's a little worried about life in
 general!) would take to a litter box quite well-she only uses one corner of her cage, unlike my boy-goes everywhere! Any ideas for litterboxes? The only ones I've seen for sale are $10 each, which seems kinda excessive for their size. Thanks everybody for listening!

Susanna and the Piggish and AuntiePig and the Squirt who desperately wishes he could chase them (please mom please?!?!-he's a dog-lol)