[Gpdd] Health..hair loss

James Lynn jimmarg.lynn at juno.com
Tue Nov 23 08:42:55 EST 2004

About 2-3 weeks ago I noticed the hair on Sassy Suzy looked very dull and
it was all fluffed up.  Upon closer inspection I could see that she was
loosing a lot of hair and is almost bald on her back.

I took her to my vet and after she examined Sassy Suzy she said she
didn't think it was mites since there was no visible skin irritation or
any sign that the piggie had been itching and scratching.  My vet seemed
to think that it was probably hormone related and there wasn't too much
that could be done about it.

Sassy Suzy is still eating and drinking fine and seems to feel okay; she
is just loosing her hair.

I took the advice of Peter Gurney and made up a solution of Neem oil and
used almond oil for a carrier.  First of all I gave Suzy a bath this
afternoon which she did NOT appreciate but she did tolerate it.  After I
used the blow dryer to dry her hair I applied the oil mixture so now what
little hair she has left makes her look like a porcupine!

Sassy Suzy must have been mad about this whole procedure because as soon
as I put her back into the cage she shares with Ginger all h____ broke
loose!  Suzy took all of her frustrations out on poor Ginger.    The two
of them had a lot of discussions over the next half hour but now all
seems quiet from the piggie room.

My project over the past weekend was to build a C & C cage for the two
piggies so now they have to share living quarters.  My pen is 2 X 4 cubes
in size with a balcony and a ramp.  Ginger has mastered the ramp but
Sassy Suzy hasn't figured it out yet.    She is too busy pouting about
today's bath.

Jim..........Sassy Suzy and Ginger