[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOUR] she's making the strangest noise

Paula dyheli at toledointernet.net
Tue Nov 23 21:06:08 EST 2004

Hi Beki....

Peter Gurney documents this chirping phenomenon on his website.  To quote....

This bird song-like sound is more likely to be heard by people who keep a lot of guinea pigs because it is a relatively rare phenomenon. Most people, when they first hear it, think a bird has somehow got into where the guinea pigs are housed. I have yet to hear of an explanation for this song and can only describe what other people have also observed when it occurs.

It is usually to be heard when most of the guineas are at rest so I doubt if it has anything to do with stress. The guinea pig that chirrups is usually standing stock-still with its head slightly raised. The effect on the rest of the stock is very marked, they usually cease whatever they were doing and look in the direction of the chirruping guinea pig. Sometimes there is an ethereal air about it. At other times I get the impression that the guinea pig, centre stage, is kind of preaching to the rest of them and a lectern in front of it would complete the scene.

On more than one occasion I have picked up the piggy concerned, which stopped while it was in my hands but soon resumed its chirrup when I put it back down. It can last for quite a few minutes and after it ceases, usually the guinea pigs in its vicinity will go up and give it a good sniff inspection. The rest of the stock will quickly get back to business as usual after the 'performance'. This kind of behaviour is, in my experience, restricted to particular individuals in a pack. It seems to be a case of being born a chirruping guinea pig and not being a learned behaviour.

Hope this helps.

Paula (Mom to Tom and the pigs Rex and Fluffy)