[Gpdd] (Announce) Gizmo has gone over the Bridge

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 18:25:48 EST 2004

It is with great sadness that I must write I had to
help Gizmo over the Bridge on Monday night, November
22, 2004. As most of you know, he was diagnosed with
leukemia only a week before and it was already pretty
far advanced. Up until Monday, he had been eating and
drinking normally and he really didn't look or act
sick, except that he was moving around a little slower
and was breathing a bit heavier than normal. His
breathing had gotten a little worse over the weekend
and I had planned to take him in to the vet's office
on Monday after work. By the time I got home from
work,his breathing was very, very labored and he
didn't want to eat, a sign I knew meant he was ready
to go--Gizmo NEVER, EVER refused food! In his eyes, he
told me it was time also...and I think he specifically
waited until I came home. So I rushed him to the vet's
office, and they gave me the chance to say goodbye to
him.
Gizmo was the first pig that my husband and I got--we
actually got him in August of 2000, a few months
before were were married. My husband (fiance' at the
time) had never been around guinea pigs, but he soon
fell in love with them because of Gizmo. In fact, most
people fell in love with Gizmo--he was such a flirt.
He loved the ladies, human ladies especially. He loved
food, and would taste almost everything he saw me
eating...if it was edible, by golly he was gonna try
it. He especially liked sweets, so I had to be careful
what I gave him, but at the end I let him have
whatever he wanted-- grapes, carrots, apples, and
little pieces of granola bar. He also liked Frosted
Mini Wheats cereal. He was pretty fiesty as a young
pig, and he liked to bite you if you tried to pick him
up. I was afraid he would stay that way, but he
mellowed out as he got older and he started to enjoy
lap time, but on those occasions when he didn't want
to be picked up he'd karate kick with his back leg.
We had a big scare with him when he was about a year
old and he wiggled out of my husband's hands while
hubby was trying to put him back in the cage--I heard
a thump when he hit the floor and he gave a horrendous
squeal...I just knew he was broken beyond repair. But,
he wasn't hurt at all-just scared-and he never tried
to wiggle out of anyone's hands again. That was a
tough way to learn such a simple lesson!
Gizmo was also quite the traveler--he was born in
Hawaii and I shipped him (and 5 others, by that time)
back to the mainland when we changed duty stations. He
also traveled with us a few times when we would drive
to visit family. And he was just in North Carolina
last month, when I took him to visit daddy slave
before he deployed to Afghanistan. It hurts me so much
that my husband won't ever be able to see him again.
Gizmo was a special pig and he will be missed. As Alge
put it, the Squee Squad will never be quite the same.
We love you Gizmo, and we'll miss you so much!
-Stacy and the Squee Squad:
Max, Serendipity, Maxine, Teddy, Oscar, Willie,
Pinkerton, Jasper and Tigger...and a big empty space
where Gizmo should be