[Gpdd] [CARE] Fruit flies

Lori H. lorih at cogw.org
Fri Nov 26 03:05:49 EST 2004

Hi everybody,

Here is a question I have.

The night before Thanksgiving, I cleaned out all of the piggie pens, then on Thanksgiving morning once everybody was moved to a different part of the house (for the sake of space) I gave each pen (7 pens total) 1 apple, 1 Kiwi & a slice of orange as part of their Thanksgiving treat.

Within a few hours I had flies & fruit flies all over.

Now, my sister in law seems to think since I put fresh fruit in their pens, that is what caused the fruit flies.  Keep in mind, the fruit was only in there a few hours.  I say, it was something that was brought in or since the door was opened & closed so much that the bugs were trying to get in from the cold.

Now my hubby is saying, each day at the same time, we put the fruit in there for an hour, then pull it back out until the next day.  I think this is unfair to the piggies since they like to munch very often during the day.

O.K. piggie slaves, what do you say?

Lori