[Gpdd] Health - Medicine for Cally

svtaylor1 at excite.com svtaylor1 at excite.com
Fri Nov 26 14:03:29 EST 2004

Hi All,

I have some interesting information about piggy health that I would like to share. About six months ago, Cally started refusing food. This was very unusual as she takes great pride in her Rubenesque figure. I took her to the vet and they X-rayed her and found that she had an enlarged stomach. Very smart Dr. Llewellyn said that her guts weren't moving like they should and prescribed a motility enhancer called Cisapride. He had it made up special just for her in berry flavor syrup. At first, she didn't want to take her medicine so I had to hold her head and syringe it into her mouth (no needle of course) but she has come to like the flavor and now she grabs onto the syringe and laps it right up. I think she would eat the syringe too if she could! Best of all, it did the trick. Her appetite came right back and she's fine now just as long as she gets her medicine.

I was so happy to see her doing better that I ordered her a fifty pound box of Oxbow early cut Western Timothy Hay to replace the bale of Bermuda grass that we got at the feed store. When it arrived, I taped the box flaps upright and put Cally in there with all that wonderful hay. She got very excited and started to dig frantically. I suddenly realized that I had better get her out before she disappeared underneath that pile of forage but it wasn't so easy to do because her primordial instincts had kicked in and she was suddenly a wild native piggy of Peru and was evading capture by a large bird of prey. She wiggled and squirmed and burrowed in the looser hay between the hard packed stuff and the side of the box. She almost got too deep to retrieve! But I did prevail and get her back in her cage, none the worse for wear. Whew! She's getting little bits of it now every day, throughout the day, and I truly believe that she feels like a princess on a feather bed when she is done eating and lays down to rest on what's left.

 --- Susan and Cally in New Mexico, USA

PS: Cally sends her fondest regards to her good friend Mr. Cooders.