[Gpdd] Care--orange juice

Debbieganley debg43 at ij.net
Sun Nov 28 00:44:53 EST 2004

My pigs like (no, love) Vitakrafts orange drops--available in Petsmart.  I only give them 2 a day each, since they're a little high in the sugar content--but they scream when it's time for them.  Where are those wrist watches, anyway?  I read about the apple cider vinegar also in the bottle--my vet advised against putting anything in the bottle since the pigs slurry & bacteria can build up very quickly (even in a day.)  Stick with Vit C-rich veggies--parsley is wonderful, romaine or any dark green lettuce (not iceburg) , green pepper, cut grape tomatoes--my girls get either cantelope or honeydew melon for breakfast, salads later in the day.  Carrots are good but  high in calcium, so they only get the baby ones every other day.

Congratulations on the babies--we had Molly's babies back in August & they are so much fun.  I'm glad that you brought up the age thing, with your nephew adopting a baby--11 is a great age--but kids  still need adult supervision with pigs, & the pigs are an adult pet due to their special needs, so make sure your sister or brother understands that.  They will end up taking care of the baby pig for a lot of years.  Nothing breaks my heart more than going into a shelter & seeing pigs surrendered because "I don't have the time to take care of him/her" or "My child got bored with it."  My daughter is 12 & has been around our pigs for 3 years--but if I depended on her to clean the house & feed them on a regular basis, I'd be sorely disappointed & so would the pigs.  I'm sure there are exceptional, responsible kids who don't need to be nagged to take care of a piggie--good for them--I just don't happen to have one, so the pigs are my responsibility.

Deb, Potter, Molly & Emma