[Gpdd] HEALTH - mites

ROYCE LARSON COTTON_COWBOYS at msn.com
Sun Nov 28 17:55:01 EST 2004

Karen,

     You have all my sympathy!!! I went through the whole mite thing with Bud recently and I've still been writing in to GPDD because I haven't been sure we got the problem solved. I have spent HOURS sterilizing everything and I had many fun wooden tunnels, houses, etc. that I ended up scrapping. I asked the vet about baking them for half an hour at 225 degrees. She told me it might work but wasn't worth the risk and, after all the expense and work, I agreed!!! Now everything I have is disposable or washable!!!
    I had tarps, playpens, a travel cage (not a carrier, this was for Bud to stay in when we traveled), a carrier plus, of course, his main cage, brushes, combs, nail clippers, etc.. I get exhausted just thinking about it. I've done it three times because each time he got a new shot I wanted to be as sure as I could be that everything was clean (even though the vet said this wasn't necessary after the first time.) Now if I find out that he hasn't gotten rid of the mites, I'm looking at doing it all again. I'm still praying it's just dry skin at this point and not the fur mites people have been warning me about. I should know in a couple weeks if this shampoo-conditioner thing works.

     Good luck. You aren't alone!!

Carla and Bud