[Gpdd] [Health] Re: Mocha-ninny needs your ideas ...

Dawnda Stricklen dawndastricklen at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 3 00:29:03 EDT 2004

Hello Brenda

I have a male named Mocha that is 5 months old.

I have another rescued guinea pig that is named Ginger
that has the same symptoms minus the lump. She has an
estimated age of 2 1/2 to 3 years old. She has bad
breathing days and then will be fine for a while. I
thought it was what is called ruttling( an allergy
like raspy breathing) Then she did some wet coughing
and I decided that it could be congestive heart
failure. I have had 3 with this problem.
Dr Patton x-rayed her and found that her heart was
enlarged, but her lungs was clear at the time. He
breathing was fine by the time we got an appointment
too. Dr Patton said that the heart should only take up
1/3 of the chest cavity.
He said that I could give her lasix(0.3ml every 24
hours) or diuril (0.3 ml every 12 hours) just as
needed since her lungs was clear. That is what I have
been doing. She can go a couple of weeks then she will
have two or three days of congestive breathing. The
diuretics gets the fluid out of her lungs and body.
The will get fluid under their chin too that looks
like fat hanging down. She, also, will not eat very
much at a time. The rest of the herd eat their whole
bowl of veggies as fast as they can. Ginger always
leaves some lettuce and green pepper. It will be gone
in a couple of hours though. Ginger loves baby carrots
so she alway grabs that and runs into igloo to eat it
first.
Your Mocha is at an age when she will be loosing
weight just because she is getting older. My Sabrina
has went from 3 1/4 lbs to 2 1/2 lbs and she will be 4
in December. She has always been a big boned Abyssian.
She was always bigger than all my others. Sabrina has
an enlarged heart,as well. I hope this helps you out
some.

Dawnda

=====
http://embark.to/guineapighaven