[Gpdd] announcement: animal abuse and other

Susan Glancy sglancy at pinn.net
Sun Oct 3 19:49:31 EDT 2004

Someone asked if the breeder was "turned in" on that puppy mill abuse
situation.  I would really like to know what happened afterwards myself.
Were the pups OK?  Is the breeder out of business?  What part of the country
was it in?  I'm going to see if I can get any information myself and will
pass along if I do.  I can't get the image out of my mind of that sweet,
innocent dog's face and her beautiful, sad and desparate eyes...

On a happier note...we have unexpectedly added another member to our guinea
pig family.  We were in Charlottesville, Virginia this past weekend visiting
my parents and we brought our kids by the new SPCA there.  It was funded by
Rural Development and is a wonderful facility.  Well, of course we all
headed for the small animal room to see some piggies since we missed ours so
much.  The shelter had recently had 25 pigs dropped off outside their front
door and they had about 8 pigs left that had not been adopted.  I think the
eight left had been in the shelter about a month.  Well, we saw this
adorable solid tan (or rust) little girl in a cage with 2 other girls.  We
all fell in love with her.  She looked at us with her big black eyes and we
couldn't resist!  The three in the cage were all somewhat thin and their
hair was sort of dull but they seemed healthy otherwise.  The SPCA workers
said that they were not sure if any of the females are pregnant b/c they
were all (males and females) in a box together.  We'll take our chances and
find good homes if it comes to that.  So, we drove her 3 hours back to our
house today.  She's in the cage with our 3 other girls and they are
exhibiting the normal dominance behaviors.  Actually, our youngest (prior to
our new girl who is probably about 4-6 months) is "picking on her" the
most.  Our oldest and biggest, Poopsie, is actually being protective towards
our new girl who my son has named Sarah.  So, hopefully the transition will
go well.

I do have a question...we did not quarantine Sarah.  She seems healthy and I
did not see any visible signs of health issues.  We put her in the cage
after a brief introduction on "nuetral" ground.  If she were to have mites
is this something I would be able to see?

Thanks for the help...I told my kids we are going to have to stop going to
the SPCA b/c we don't have enough room for another!  But, I just can't help
myself :)

Sue, Sniffles, Red Archery Girl, Poopsie and Sarah