[Gpdd] Care: Julie's GPs and carpet

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Wed Oct 13 01:35:54 EDT 2004

Hi Julie,
       You can get a couple of pet playyards and link them together, then
cover the enclosed area with newspapers (more than 0ne layer thick), or use big
towels, a blanket, a vinyl backed table cloth (no plastics that the piggies can
eat, however.) or any one of a number of other things to keep the carpet from
being wet on.
       I would suggest that you pick a good time (when she is not distracted)
and talk to your mother about this -- she may have a suggestion.
       I rather get the idea that covering the carpet is an annoyance to you.
Those of us who are truly committed to our guinea pig friends do what we need
to do to keep them and other household members healthy and happy.  Are you
grousing a bit because of your mother's requirements? I wouldn't want my piggies
using my carpet as a toilet either so I make other provisions.
       One of the things I do when physically not able to seal off the living
room and set up their padded potty corner and litter pan for them is to
provide them with a large plastic wading pool, the bottom and sides covered with a
sheet (for easy cleaning) for play time. Of course yo havce to have somewhere
to put the pool out of sight in between. Have you that much space in your
bedroom perhaps?
       Responsibility for our animal friends does involve effort, and during
the time you've been posting here you have seemed to want only the best for
your little girls and likewise seem willing to put forth the effort to make
things go well for them. This is just one more problem to solve.
       I'm sure you, with your mother's help, will rise to the occasion, but
grumbling about picking up the newspapers probably isn't going to further your
case.  :)

All best,
Alge