[Gpdd] Health: feet

Cuttlefish Arts cuttlefisharts at comcast.net
Wed Oct 13 12:46:07 EDT 2004

I wanted to ask a question about feet. I know what bumblefoot looks like,
and I don't think that's what I'm seeing. My 3lb neutered male, who is
healthy, seems to have kind of big front pads -- the main hock on both front
feet seems kind of big and rounded. It doesn't seem swollen, exactly -- it's
not hard, hot, or infected and there are no sores or anything. They looked a
little red to me, but he doesn't seem to have any pain, although he doesn't
like having them massaged or handled a lot. This might just be the typical
"don't mess with my feet" response. I have been checking and washing his
feet but haven't done anything else. They are on aspen chips with a
substrate of those pine pellets that absorb water.

I recently found him a new cage mate and it seems like the cage might have
been getting a little wetter than I expected with the addition of a new gp.
I have been changing it and keeping it very clean and dry, but it took me a
couple weeks to catch on that it was getting a little damp sometimes. (A
leaky water bottle was also to blame.)

Any ideas? I'm not sure that I have a problem, but Winston had a hard
summer. More about that in my next post.

Vic