[Gpdd] [Health] <re: Ear Infection>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 20:37:04 EDT 2004

Hi Nicola,
One piggy who is under my care right now is suspected
of having an ear infection. It's been about 1.5 weeks
that we've been on the AB's. Unfortunately I'm not
seeing a huge difference in his head tilt yet. I don't
have much knowledge that could probably help you. But
I have a few questions... What kind of antibiotic is
he on? How much, and for how long? This can make a big
difference.
My pig is on Bactrim and an antibiotic ear drop,
Tresaderm, for 3 weeks. From talking to others on a
gpig board, it was my understanding that the tresaderm
eardrops were the most important part of the
treatment. I was also told that other antibiotics like
Baytril (enrofloxacin) would likely not be as
effective in treating it.
Here are other names for "Bactrim:" trimethoprim
sulfa; SMZ-TMP; sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim;
Tribrissen, Septra
Here is what my tresaderm bottle says:
"(thiabendazole, dexamethasone, neomycin sulfate
solution)"

It is very important that you give your pig probiotics
as ABs can destroy some of their gut flora which is
crucial for digestion. Give your pig the soft poos of
another healthy pig (when you see them go to grab it
out of their bum, snatch it! haha. really.) You can
also give them a crushed up acidophilus or
lactobacillus tablet and sprinkle that on their
veggies.

It is crucial that you weigh her twice a day. If she
has sudden weight loss or is not eating or pooping, it
could be "antibiotic intolerance" and you should go to
your vet immediately and get a different antibiotic.

I'm not sure if Oxbow ships to the UK, but they make a
supplement called "Critical Care" for pigs in
emergencies who are not eating. Instead of that, in an
emergency, you should feed your pig a pellet mush. You
can warm pellets up in the microwave with water until
it becomes a "mush." I also add the juice of an orange
to it for plenty of vit. C. The pumpkin pie filling is
a good thing to add to this or give on its own because
of its fiber. But giving a plain pellet mush is better
than nothing at all. Are you SURE you don't have any
canned squash/pumpkin or just squash that you can cook
and scoop the meat out of?

I can't believe you people don't eat pumpkin pie!!!
You poor, deprived people!!! Seriously, start syringe
feeding her, keeping track of her weight, and if she
is not eating at all, go to your vet to get a
different antibiotic (and ask about ear drops - the
neomycin sulfate I think is the most important
ingredient).

Worried wheeks,

~Lauren, Pig, Pooh & Peanut & Cookie

Hi, I've not posted for rather a long while, but one
oof my guinea
pigs,
Ruby, has an ear infection. I took her to the vets on
Saturday and he
prescribed her some antibiotics. When I took her she
was still acting
pretty
normal apart from her head being wonkey. But her
appetite has gradually
gone
down. I think today she might be picking up again and
her head is a lot
straighter than it was. But she's still hardly eating
anything. I've
been
syringe feeding her water even though she seems to be
drinking ok, just
make sure that she is drinking plenty. I was just
wondering if any of
you
has some wonderful trick to try and get to eat
properly again. She
seems
fine in herself apart from sleeping a lot more then
usual and she is
still
very inquisitive so I think it is just the antibiotics
making her feel
a bit
queasy.

Thanks for any help you can give me, Nicola

P.S. I know a lot of people reccomend feeding pumpkin
pie filling but
we
brits don't eat pumpkin pie so nowhere sells it.

=====
EACH YEAR in the United States, MILLIONS of healthy companion animals are euthanized simply because they can not find homes.
Adopt a homeless pet.
Become a foster home.
Have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!