[Gpdd] MISC: Disturbing article on Peruvian plan to export guinea pigs

Dukejan1 at aol.com Dukejan1 at aol.com
Tue Oct 19 15:33:28 EDT 2004

Fellow GPDD Slaves:

I have just come across a most disturbing article regarding a Peruvian university's (La Molina University) plans to export guinea pigs in the "hope that they will scamper onto dinner plates throughout America."  The article stated that 1,000 guinea pigs will be shipped out weekly, mostly to the U.S.  and that an estimated 65 million guinea pigs are consumed each year in Peru.
I'm not sure what to do to stop this, but if the trend starts in the U.S. or anywhere else, rescue piggies and shelter piggies could be doomed.  Any ideas out there on what we might be able to do to stop this?
I found the AP article on the following website on Oct. 19:  http://www.wtop.com.  Warning: A photograph is particularly appalling--my co-workers conspired this morning to keep me off the internet for fear I would see this, but obviously they weren't successful.

Janet,
Slave to Lily and Isabel