[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <update on my babies>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 00:08:23 EDT 2004

Thanks for asking! Piglet went to the vet. X-rays did
not reveal any stones, although there were a couple
spots that faintly could have been the start of
something but the vet said that it could just as
easily not be anything and it would be too early to
tell if it was.

I asked her about testing for a UTI, and first she
said that she didn't think it would be a UTI,
especially since in her opinion having a UTI without a
previous case of bladder stones (as a secondary
infection) was not likely. I pressed her to run some
tests anyway, but she basically said that it wasn't
possible. Basically, she said Piglet's bladder was too
small to retrieve a sample via a needle. I now don't
remember/am not sure if she said this because she was
a female (female bladders are generally smaller than
male) or specifically because she was a pig. I know
the procedure has been done with pigs before. Also,
she said that to test a sample that had been
contaminated with something else, after it had been
expelled onto the table for example, would not produce
conclusive results because it was potentially
contaminated.

The vet did say that it does happen that pigs as well
as rabbits and some other animals can release the red
pigment porphyrin in their urine. Because the pink pee
had only been definitely seen once, she considered
this to be a likely possibility. Piglet's pubic area
had also over the past few days become tinted a
red-brown color (she is an all-black pig), and the
porphyrin could also cause this.

Basically, I was expecting to get some AB's but I came
back with nothing. I did not get a reason or
explanation for Piglet's wet bottom. I was advised to
keep a close eye on my baby girl, and if I notice
again red/pink tinted urine, and especially if I see
blood, and if her wet bottom consistently persists, to
bring her back and the vet would treat with AB for a
UTI and further explore the possibility of stones. I
haven't noticed any reddish urine or blood, and her
bottom hasn't been consistently wet thus far.

Piglet was very good during her visit and for her
x-rays, and everyone admired her cuteness and beauty.
Pooh Bear went along for the ride.

***************************************

As for Peanut and Cookie, my "foster" boys who need a
good home, they are doing much much better. Peanut's
nose has fully cleared up; all the fur has now grown
back. Peanut is finishing up a course of AB's for a
suspected ear infection. Although I have been lately
worried that his head tilt was still noticeable, it is
now less than it had been originally.

After a long period of hovering around 600g, he seems
to now be *cross fingers* slowly but steadily gaining
weight. The two boys are popcorning like CRAZY
tonight. If his head tilt doesn't subside by the time
his treatment is over, I will be in touch with my vet
and he has mentioned exploring the possibility of
physical trauma being the culprit (which I'm not so
sure about), or maybe that he just will always have
slight head tilt even though the infection is cleared
up. His new adoptive parents will be thoroughly
informed of his background and will have to know to
watch in case a head tilt ever returns.

Thanks so much for your concern and help!

Lauren, Piglet, Pooh and Cookie & Peanut

--- Algernon07 at aol.com wrote:

> Thanks for the info Laura! Such info is important.
>
> Meanwhile, how is you little one doing?
>
> Alge

=====
EACH YEAR in the United States, MILLIONS of healthy companion animals are euthanized simply because they can not find homes.
Adopt a homeless pet.
Become a foster home.
Have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!