[Gpdd] Misc.: Guinea Pigs in Peru

Guineapigfilms at aol.com Guineapigfilms at aol.com
Thu Oct 21 00:25:16 EDT 2004

My mom met a woman in Florida who had recently traveled to Ecuador. She said
that guinea pigs were the national delicacy there, just like they are in Peru.
They raise and breed them on farms, like we raise and breed cows and
chickens. It seems really terrible to us, but in countries where cows are considered
sacred, the fact that we slaughter cows here in America seems really terrible.
This woman told my mom that she went into a very fine restaurant in Ecuador,
and was served a guinea pig, with the guinea pig's head on the plate!!! (Sort
of like the pig with an apple in its mouth at a luau here in the USA.) In the
United States it is not the custom to eat cats, dogs, or guinea pigs, but some
people do eat rabbits. And we kill lots of other animals and eat them (unless
we're vegetarians). I really find it hard to believe that people here would
ever even consider eating guinea pigs, as here they are considered pets. This is
really a tricky subject. I have seen farm kids in 4-H contests crying when
their "pet" calf, whom they have named and tenderly cared for, is led away at
auction at the end of the Fair to be made into hamburgers and steaks.
Personally, I have been a vegetarian just about all my life (since I was a toddler),
because I love animals so much (including guinea pigs). My parents love animals,
too, but they're not vegetarians. I can't imagine guinea pigs "scampering onto
dinner plates throughout America," as that article said. I really don't think
the idea would catch on here at all. That Peruvian University may have to
rethink its plans.

Love and WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPS,

Alyssa and the guinea pig movie stars
http://hometown.aol.com/guineapigfilms