[Gpdd] HEALTH (Blood in urine update)

JOHN CHRISTIAN suzjo at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 12:25:26 EDT 2004

Hi,

Blood in urine update

In case any of you have a similar situation, both Nellie & Doris were diagnosed with cystitis and they are on 0.2ml twice a day of Baytril for 6 days.

>From the very helpful replies to my previous e-mail, I am going to continue my search for an experienced rodentologist in my area and arrange an x-ray to rule out bladder stones.

(Lauren - I managed to collect urine samples, which were analysed. I had two little plastic pots, which I sterilsed with boiling water for about five minutes, and some pieces of clean plastic. I put them out for some playtime on the plastic and as soon as each one peed, I poured it into the little pot.  The vet was genuinely surprised as apparently it is difficult to get samples from guinea pigs. The idea of using a needle to get a sample doesn't sound very nice.)

Suzanne, Nellie & Doris