[Gpdd] RE: MISC: Animals as food...

Michelle Melaragno doc141melaragno at adelphia.net
Thu Oct 21 20:19:55 EDT 2004

	Throughout my life, I have often seriously considered becoming a
vegetarian, largely due to the way animals are mass produced, housed and
slaughtered here in the U.S.  Over the last couple of years, I have had
the opportunity to work on a small working farm (I coordinated the farm
and Animal Assisted Therapy programs at a group home for boys in state
custody).  As we grew, we decided to raise our own meat...chickens,
cattle, pigs.  I wasn't sure how I would handle the whole thing, but it
came down to this for me:  the animals were raised in acres of pasture
or large, airy enclosures...there was NO overcrowding...their
environments were kept very clean...we fed them an excellent diet...they
were treated with RESPECT and LOVE and they were HONORED for providing
us with nourishment for life!  It was an amazing lesson to teach the
boys (and myself and other staff!)  Yes, it was difficult, but like the
comment about the ponies, these animals had good lives that had a
specific "end" purpose.  They did not spend a horrific existence in
filthy, crowded, abusive conditions.
	It is very difficult for me to imagine guinea pigs, dogs, cats,
etc. as food!  However, something that helps me is that I've grown to
understand this:  many CULTURES have beautiful traditions and ceremonies
to honor and respect the animal that has been sacrificed for their
consumption.  Native Americans use just about EVERYTHING from and
animal, unlike the reckless waste we practice here in the U.S.  Though I
could never do it myself, I have difficulty finding fault with cultures
who eat those critters we consider to be our family members!  Most
cultures have traditions that are thousands of years old...where are our
traditions that honor and respect the animals?  I wish there was a way
that I could share that lesson with masses of people.
	When we started raising meat chickens at the group home/farm,
the boys said "No, we don't want to eat chicken that was alive!!!"  I
think most Americans don't think any further than the market freezer
about how our meat industry is run.
	A few months after I started my rescue, a neighbor approached me
about my guinea pigs.  He told me that when he lived in Pennsylvania, he
raised guinea pigs for meat for the ethnic markets in the larger cities.
He never came out and asked, but I think he was thinking he could get
some of my precious pigs!!!  Well, you know how much further THAT
conversation went!  It is not very evident, but there is a market for
those delicacies... especially with a growing ethnic population.  I was
approached to raise goats on my 12 acre property for the Somali
community.  (I'm not doing it!) Goat is their #1 food, and they can only
eat it if it is slaughtered in a very traditional, religious ritual
manner...facing a certain direction, the animal must offer itself...if
it balks, it goes back to the herd.  No assembly lines there!
	Well, I'm not sure why I went all out on this subject...guess it
was on my mind!  Sorry so long!  Hope all piggies and slaves alike are
happy and healthy as we head for winter...we're headed for a typical
MAINE winter...not so for some of you warmer climate folks! Enjoy it!

Michelle Melaragno
Whistle Ridge Cavy Rescue
576 Trapp Road
Auburn, ME 04210