[Gpdd] Health: Re: Obese Piggy

Leah McNeil lconsuela at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 14:02:34 EDT 2004

Hey Kelly & Sean!
I was the Slave who wrote about our Obese
piggie, Brownie Bear. Ever since Butterscotch
came to live with us, she's been Eating...and
Eating...and Eating. B-Bear had been about 2.8
lbs for as long as I can remember, but then
after her Spay (last December), she started
gaining weight. I think she gained the weight
because of all of the hormonal changes she was
going through. Well, she tipped the scales at
3.1 pounds...Yikes!

So, my Vet told me to put her on a diet (but
I never did) and my girl just decided to lose
weight on her own. She eventually got back down
to her college weight of 2.8 pounds.

Well, after Butterscotch came to live with us,
she has been eating like Mad! I have them in
separate cages, but B-Bear acts like the boy is
going sneak over into her cage and steal all of her
food. It's really strange. But, she's also drinking
a lot more water, so that's a good thing (since
she's a stone piggie).

I think the Best thing for an Obese piggie is
Excercise, so the more floortime you can give
Cadbury, the better. Also, my Vet told me to
limit B-Bear's pellets to 2 tablespoons per day,
but I don't know how you would limit Cadbury's
pellets since she lives with Reese (???). Maybe
another Slave can help us out on that one.

Also, I had to laugh after reading that Cadbury
looks like 'melted chocolate' when she lies down.
Cuz my Brownie Bear looks the same way. And my
girl Waddles when she runs--ha ha!

Well, Brownie hasn't put all of the weight back
on, but she is up to 2.9 pounds. She's been that
way for about 3 wheeeeeks now. And when I open up
her cage for free-range, she doesn't really go far
and she ends up back in her cage, in her pigloo
or grassy hut. Well, most of the Slaves know that
Brownie Bear and I are ONE, so I've actually put
on a couple of pounds myself (about 5 lbs or so).
And last wheeek, I was noticing that my jeans were
tight, so it's time to get back into the gym (I've
been lazier than usual these past couple of months).

So, yesterday, I decided that both Brownie Bear and
I were going to Excercise. So, I would carry her all
the way to my bedroom, and then run back to her cage
area. She always follows me (like a dog), so she would
run too. :-) I must have done it like 10 times! And
afterwards, I could tell she was tired. Then, I went
to the gym and ran 3 miles. So, Brownie Bear and
Mama Slave are on a Program!! ha ha

I hope you are able to trim Cadbury down a bit.

         Love 'n Wheeeeeeeeeeeps,
             Leah...Slave to Brownie Bear
                                & Butterscotch :-)

Hi Slaves,
I recently read a post that someone's guinea pig was
eating constantly(B'Scotch) and gaining weight. I
think Cadbury might be a little heavier than 2.9lbs.
Cadbury was normal looking when we got her. After an
encounter with a male piggy, we thought Cadbury was
pregnant. Sean and I counted out the days and we
figured that she would be due around May 16, 2003.
When that day past and months went by, all we noticed
was that she was getting big but no babies. She lives
with Reese(Female) and Reese has a bit of pudge, but
Cadbury tops that by 3 times more. When Cadbury lies
down, she looks like melted chocolate. She is even
very sensitive. If you feel her tummy area or pet her
near her bum (cheeks) she wheeks in horror. I took her
to the Vet, after we thought she was pregnant, but the
vet said she wasn't. All of the piggies got an anal
probe( temp) but when it was Cadbury's turn, it was
the worst wheeking I have ever heard. If you can help
me understand why she is so big, or how she can lose
some weight, please do. Thanks for listening.

Kelly & Sean :)
Cadbury, Reese, Whiskers & Snowball   ~..~  wheek!
Abby & Peter Rabbit