[Gpdd] MISC: Update on Lucy and Lola

robyn ferguson robyn_ferguson at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 21:39:30 EDT 2004

Hi Everybody,

Well I have started the process of introducing new pig Lola to my Lexie pig.
I was afraid that Lexie might get territorial and hassle Lola, but the
opposite seems to be the case! I introduced them outside in the garden
enclosure (neutral territory) and when they are a fair distance from each
other they burble to each other happily, but when Lexie went over to
introduce herself, Lola flipped out and chased her off! This happened a few
times, and I ended up separating them when Lexie got nipped.  I think this
is mainly a fear reaction, as Lola has lived on her own since she was little
and I don't think she knows what to make of Lexie, she is quite timid around
me too and I think she is just lashing out from fear.
I'm going to take this slowly and give them as much time together outside as
possible, separating them before things go too far. I'm sure that Lola will
eventually come to believe that Lexie and I are NOT just fattening her up
for the lucrative guinea pig black market : ) Not that she needs fattening
up! Also a friend is getting rid of some spare cubes, so I can build a
double run, with a dividing wall. That way they can smell and talk to each
other, but no-one gets bitten. Hopefully Lola will calm down eventually.

Lexie has always been a shy pig, preferring the company of other guineas and
withdrawing from humans, but she is really warming to me now that she is on
her own in the hutch. I get cuddles and she doesn't run away when I try to
pick her up.

Anyway, I will keep you guys updated!

Robyn and the Odd couple.