[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Wuinea Pig had her babies

truejedi at bellsouth.net truejedi at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 26 20:37:03 EDT 2004

On October 25, 2004 at 5:51pm it started.  By 6:00 the first baby was born.  Wuinea had her baby but didn’t even seem to know she had it.  She just leaned over and stared munching on her hay.  My fiancée broke the covering off the baby so it could breathe and he tried to show it to her.  By the time she finally realized what she was supposed to be doing her next baby was born at 6:10.  Her third baby was born at 6:16.  She looked like she was going to have another one but we weren’t sure.  After about 45 minutes we knew she wasn’t going to have anymore.  We thought her body was still going through the process and trying to get all the afterbirth out.  By this time she had cleaned all her babies and we were trying to show her how to let them get their milk.  Then we noticed another baby coming out.  It wasn’t breathing at all so we hurried and broke the covering then picked it up in a towel.  We rubbed it, tried to get the heart to start up and even blew air into it’s mouth but it never woke up.  As soon as Wuinea had it she left it to go see about her others.  I don’t know what went wrong but I wish we wouldn have just known that she was trying to have another one.  I’ve read that they usually have only 2-3 their first time so after her first three were born 10 minutes apart from each other I thought for sure that was it.  If I would have known maybe we could have saved her baby but I just didn’t know she was going to have another one.

I originally wasn’t going to name any more babies with the last part being OTAH after my Motah.  But this baby I named Kotah because she met Motah at Rainbow Bridge before she had the chance to meet any of the Uineas here.  Kotah was a beautiful self chocolate piggy.  I know Motah will be a great Mommy for Kotah and will show her where all the freshest veggies are across the Bridge.

The first baby that was born is black with a white collar around it’s neck.  The second is brown with a white collar around it’s neck.  The third has a white face with a brown ring around one eye, then has a brown band, white band, brown band.  I have no idea what breed this is but he/she is defiantely cute!  I left Wuinea alone with her babies in the bathroom (because there are no AC vents in there) last night in a box.  I checked on them every so often and they are doing fine.  This morning I introduced them to the other Uineas.  Muinea LOVES them.  Puinea is jealous of them.  Muinea ran to them and started giving them a bath, then she started licking Wuinea’s little face too.  Puinea wasn’t too nice to the babies at first but Muinea took care of her and now Muinea guards the pigloo entrance so Puinea can’t disturn Wuinea and her babies.  The babies are already nibbling at hay and pellets and a piece of apple.  The babies will be named as soon as we can tell whether they are girls or boys.

Just wanted to let you all know our news.  Now we have 6 piggies in the apartment and they have more room in their living space than we do!
Warm wheeks to all!

Misty and The Uineas (Muinea, Puinea, Wuinea, Uinea #1, Uinea #2 Uinea#3)  and remembering Motah and Kotah now at the Bridge but forever in out hearts...