[Gpdd] [HEALTH] RE: sudden paralysis

Lisa B cavylover74 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 29 17:26:56 EDT 2004

Hi Lauren,
If this just happened overnight, I am getting the idea it isn't what the vet said it is but Hypocalcemia.  Usually with this condition, the back legs will stiffen and may tremble.  Does the trembling happen at all?  If so, you can use a crushed Tum with calcium every 2 hours.  You may need to contact the vet for calcium supplements or/and injection.
Good luck and hope all is well with your little pig.

Lisa

My 10 month old pig has some problems with her hind legs. It developed practically overnight when she was three months old. Her vet said that the joints in her hind legs were fused at the hocks and knees, and was likely genetic. (too much inbredding, or something similar) Anyway, I have had a really hard time accepting that there is nothing that I can do about it and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. Piggie just doesn't get enough excersize because of this. She just sits in the corner of her cage, well, in one spot in general. She simply won't move unless she absolutely has to. She is perfectly healthy otherwise. I anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would be happy to hear them. I'm sure Piggy would too.

Lauren and Piggie.