[Gpdd] [CARE] <re: HELP!!!>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 30 02:28:55 EDT 2004

Hi Samantha,

Female guinea pigs ARE capable of getting pregnant at
nine weeks. It is more debatable whether your male was
sexually fertile, and whether your female was "in
heat."
The point at which male and female pigs are capable of
becoming pregnant/impregnating is debated. I have
heard of people whose pigs became pregnant at 3-4
weeks of age, or rescues who have taken in pigs from
accidental pregnancies who became pregnat at that
time. The American Cavy Breeder's Association website
recommends seperating babies at 5-6 weeks of age to
prevent pregnancy of the mother and/or female
offspring.

Other sources I have seen have suggested that females
can become pregnant at 4-5 weeks; males will not
become sexually fertile until 8-10 weeks. Frankly, if
your vet tells you that they can not become pregnant
until 3 months, I would absolutely find another vet
ASAP.

It may well be that your girl was not in heat, and was
not pregnant. I do not believe that 9 weeks is the
optimal age to breed a female, so she may be at higher
risk of complications if she were pregnant. I guess
you will have to wait and see whether she may or may
not be pregnant. She may be too young for a spay, so
that may not be an option, and obviously carries its
own risks. If she did give birth to inbred babies, my
guess would be that there would be a higher chance of
birth defects or of stillbirth.

I know this wasn't your fault. Hopefully there is no
pregnancy and she will be just fine. I would
definitely talk to your vet as soon as she/he comes
back (or find a better vet if he/she isn't experienced
in guinea pig pregnancy/neutering) and ask them what
they think your options are. I'm sorry if this didn't
help much. I'm kind of rambling a bit. Time to go to
bed.

~Lauren, Pooh Bear and Piglet - incidentally, a
neutered and spayed brother and sister pig.

=====
EACH YEAR in the United States, MILLIONS of healthy companion animals are euthanized simply because they can not find homes.
Adopt a homeless pet.
Become a foster home.
Have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!