[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <RE: sudden paralysis>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 30 02:39:12 EDT 2004

Hi Lauren and Piggie,
Did your vet do x-rays of Piggie's legs in order to
come to that conclusion? The most common cause you
usually hear for paralysis in a relatively young pig
is vitamin C deficiency. Do you supplement piggie's
diet with at least 25mg of vitamin C?
There are many other problems that could result from
her not being able to move from one spot. She could
get "urine scald," or other types of infections (I'm
thinking about the "bed sores" that immobile people
get), muscular dystrophy or develop obesity, which
brings on a whole host of problems. I might consider
getting a second opinion on the cause of Piggie's
paralysis if you aren't absolutely certain. Also, you
might consider a device that might help her become
more mobile. I know they make "wheelchairs" for dogs
and cats who can't move their hind legs. If you're
interested I could look up more info on it.
I wish you luck. Definitely make sure she is getting
plenty of vitamin C. No water supplements, though, and
no vitamin supplements. Make sure she is getting fresh
veggies and a good brand of pellets like Oxbow.
~Lauren, Pig and Pooh

=====
EACH YEAR in the United States, MILLIONS of healthy companion animals are euthanized simply because they can not find homes.
Adopt a homeless pet.
Become a foster home.
Have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!