[Gpdd] [announcement] <re: New to Gpdd>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 5 23:47:53 EDT 2004

Hi Fiona, Sydney and Raina,
Your story sounds like my first gpig story. I bought
my two pigs thinking they were both girls, and found
out that night after doing more research Pooh Bear was
a boy. I kept them seperated for a few months, keeping
track of Piglet's cycle and such. However, I
eventually found a vet near me who had experience in
gpig spaying and neutering, and they both got fixed
last January. Today they are living happily together
with me. When I pick one from the cage, the other
wheeks like mad! They are the loves of my life.
If they've been together for that long, likely your
female is pregnant. Be sure to research the special
dietary concerns for pregnant, nursing and growing
pigs. They should be fed some alfalfa hay in addition
to the constant grass hay for its extra protein and
calcium. Pregnant and nursing mothers may also need
some extra vit C. Growing cavies up to 6-8 months
should also get some alfalfa hay in addition to the
constant timothy hay.
Also, when she gets closer to the end of her
gestation, you need to seperate the boar because he
can impregnate her again a few hours after she gives
birth. I have read sources saying males are capable of
impregnating females as early as 3-4 weeks of age. The
ACBA says 5-6 weeks. I do not personally have breeding
experience so I couldn't give you my opinion. I would
recommend you do more research.
I would strongly recommend after your female may give
birth to have your boar neutered, so they can live
together for a long time. My pigs are happier living
together, and I know your babies would be too! Having
them live together without being fixed, of course,
would put tremendous stress on the female who would
virtually be constantly pregnant and/or nursing. I
would call around for vets, call animal shelters and
cavy rescues in Florida for their advice on good vets.
Finding a good cavy vet (not all regular vets have
adequate cavy experience) before an emergency happens
is a must!
About the grains and cereals - these contain much
starch and are not normally what a guinea pig's system
is designed to ingest. I would limit them and stick to
hay, pellets and veggies.
Wheeeks!
Lauren, Piglet and Pooh

=====
EACH YEAR in the United States, MILLIONS of healthy companion animals are euthanized simply because they can not find homes.
Adopt a homeless pet.
Become a foster home.
Have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!