[Gpdd] |CARE| Transportation: Making My Cavy More Portable...?

Clarke Bowling clarkeb at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 00:38:16 EDT 2004

Hi, my name is Clarke and I just recently got my first guinea pig :)
Many resources I have read online give an absolute "NO" to purchasing
pigs at pet stores. Well, I got Shawn before I read this and I'm very
glad that I hadn't read that as it would have scared me out of getting
him. At first, I went into a Petco and gave that two thumbs down.
Pretty much next door, however, there is a Petsmart, and I checked
them out.

What an amazing place.

Although the cage space (there were three in the cage) was not
adequete, they seemed to be totally content, chasing each other around
and playing hide-and-go-seek with the purple igloo toy in the center.
Well, my choice was simplistic as he was easily the most beautiful
animal in the whole store!

The woman that I worked with was very polite and very, very helpful.
She helped me get the right sort of cage, the right water bottle, the
right vitamin drops, the right food, and the right hay. She had owned
a pig herself and was very helpful with everything that had to be done
for the transaction (including signing a contract that said both that
I agreed to feed and take care of the guy and that if anything went
wrong, including if having a pig just wasn't right for me [hah!], I
had 14 days).

Here is where my real kind of question begins...Shawn was given to me
in a box about 11" x 7" and about  6.5" high with nice closing sides
and a great handle. The box says "one time use" but I assume that is
for store policy (i.e. a person buys a bird and then returns it and
then somebody else comes in to buy a rat...).

So, now that I've warn you out with my excessive rambling, this is my
question: do you think that the box is good for bring him for place to
place? I have done it once with good success (I even cut out a square
in the side and made a little window with plastic wrap, a towel on the
bottom, and a small supply of hay and pellets as well as a water
bottle outside). Of course, he would be in there just to bring him in
and out of places (like when I go somewhere for a visit, etc.) and the
rest of the time he'd be in my hands.

Thank you so much,

Clarke