[Gpdd] [CARE] <RE: Transportation: Making My Cavy More Portable...?>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 19:01:14 EDT 2004

Hi Clarke,
Congratulations on your new pig! First, ditch the
vitamin drops and instead use a variety of fresh
veggies to supplement the vit C. (about 25 mg daily).
If your pig has not eaten many veggies before, it may
take him a while to get used to them. There is a list
of vit C content of veggies at www.guinealynx.info.
The vitamin drops contain fat soluble vitamins that
can build up in their system and make them sick. They
will get enough vitamins through their pellet food.
Also, vit C. is unstable in sunlight and in the
presence of chlorine, so a water additive isn't the
best way to go. I'm not sure what the lady at Petsmart
told you - so I'll go over the basics just in case.
Hay is the staple of your pig's diet - makes sure he
has some to eat all of the time. Don't free-feed the
pellets because you'll end up with a chubby pig with
health problems. He is probably not full grown, so you
should feed him some alfalfa hay for a few months
(until he is about 6-8 mos. old) for the protein and
calcium a growing pig needs. Feed this in addition to
grass hay like timothy hay. Older pigs should get only
grass hay, and it's better for adult pigs to have a
grass-based pellet. Oxbow Hay Company,
www.oxbowhay.com , makes the best pellets for piggies.
Avoid the mixes with the seeds and corn in them - they
usually contain choking hazards and the seeds are too
fattening. They won't need freeze-dried veggies when
you will be giving them fresh veggies every day. Avoid
foods with animal-based (meat or dairy) products in
them. Cavies' systems are not designed to ingest that.
Find a vet experienced in cavies as soon as possible.
Regular cat/dog vets usually do not have adequate
experience in treating cavies, and it is very
important to find a good vet before an emergency
happens.
Go to www.cavycages.com for some great cage ideas.
Most pet store cages are too small to allow pigs the
running and popcorning room they need.
Consider getting your pig a same-sex companion (make
sure you have an experienced gpig vet verify their
genders first). Guinea pigs are very social herd
animals who love company and will get lonely and bored
when it's slaves (owners) are not home.
I know the box you are talking about - I work at that
chain. It's a fine size for transport purposes, but be
warned that your piggie may pee and poop in it and
render it unusable at some point. I recommend using a
small plastic cat carrier with the metal doors that
you can attach water bottles to. This way pigs have
room to stretch out (without being tossed around) and
you can put a bed or towel in for them to cuddle in.
They are easy to clean.
About cleaning - a vinegar solution or an enzyme-based
cleaner work wonders. Be sure to replace your pigs
water every day and give the bottle a
soap-and-water-and-brush cleaning every few days.
Keep reading the GPDD - there's always more to learn!
Good luck with your pig,
Lauren, Pooh Bear and Piglet

=====
EACH YEAR in the United States, MILLIONS of healthy companion animals are euthanized simply because they can not find homes.
Adopt a homeless pet.
Become a foster home.
Have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!