[Gpdd] [announcement] another piggy!

truejedi at bellsouth.net truejedi at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 9 09:08:31 EDT 2004

Well, yesterday we welcomed another piggy to our home...but didn't expect her to bring so many critters with her.  When I got home I was holding her and found a spot on her back.  When I starting parting her fur to get a closer look I saw bugs running everywhere.  They were all over her!  We started looking online and found out that it was "pet lice".  I was going to go to Wal Mart and get some head lice stuff that humans use but decided to go check witht the vet first to make sure it was ok.  The vet said that stuff would have killed them and she gave me some special pet shampoo made to kill the lice.  I came home and had to come home give all three of them a bath and start cleaning.  It took me about 5 hours to get everything cleaned up in there.  I scrubbed the cages down good and all their toys and tunnels and pigloos and food bowls and anything else the buggies could have crawled on.  Last night when I finally finished I put each one in a separate cage.  The baby was so scared she would even eat but by the time I went to bed she had eaten a little dry food and a piece of lettuce.  I am pretty sure all the bugs are gone now.  I keep checking and I see them on her but they are dead, so I just pick them off.  The poor baby...I know she must have slept really good last night without all those bugs eating on her.  We called the place where I got her and told them that all the others have them too but they probably won't do anything.
Her name is Puinea (Penny).  She is a two week old Golden Agouti American piggy.  Well I'm off to do another bug check...and give them piggy breakfast.
Hope you all are having a great day.
Misty, Muinea, Wuinea and Puinea