[Gpdd] HEALTH: black flakes on piggies

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Thu Sep 9 22:16:25 EDT 2004

Melissa, your Winks might possibly have a yeast infection.  Is he a
long-haired piggie?  My Joey G. is a Texel, and several months ago my vet
diagnosed him with a yeast infection.  Apparently long coats give the yeast
a great place to grow.  Although we bathed him fairly often, we didn't have
a shampoo that would get rid of the yeast problem.  My vet recommended
Malaseb shampoo.

The shampoo is a medicated shampoo for dogs, cats, and horses, but it has
proved to be fine for Joey, not too harsh, etc.  We sometimes take an old,
soft toothbrush and brush away some of the flakes while Joey is in his
bath.  Once you lather your piggie up, leave the shampoo on for ten
minutes, then rinse well and towel dry or use a hair dryer on low.

We bathed Joey every week at first, and now just once a month.

Of course, you'll probably want to check with your own vet to see if what
Winks has is indeed a yeast problem.  Hope this helps.

Cindy, Joey G., and two new piggies from the Maryland rescue