[Gpdd] FW: RAINBOW BRIDGE: Gooseberry, A TributeGPDD at GPDD.org

GPDD Admin gpdd_admin at gpdd.org
Fri Sep 10 23:47:42 EDT 2004

This is a forwarded message. Please direct all replies to the author.

From: "Sarah Sullivan" <rahsullivan at hotmail.com>

Warm greetings to everyone & everypig.
It's been a very sad time here in Letchworth, UK.  I've been fostering 3
girl piggies (Snap, Crackle & Pop) for a local animal shelter, who were
thought to be pregnant.  As the shelter were overrun I've taken care of
them for the past 72 days and a great privilege it's been too.  Two of the
3 turned out NOT to be pregnant after all (despite appearances!) but Snap
definitely was.
Sadly, sometime during Wednesday night, Snap gave birth to one piglet.
When I checked her this morning, I found Snap cowering in the corner of her
pen and found GOOSEBERRY, cold and alone in the shelter box - s/he had
crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. I couldn't even distinguish what sex s/he
was which was upsetting but s/he weighed around 180/200g - a very large baby.
I thought 'GOOSEBERRY' would be a good name for her/him as s/he was found
alone and also because of where we've buried her/him in the garden -
between two gooseberry bushes.  We'll also scatter a packet of flower seeds
over her/his place in rememberance, so next Spring, new life will flourish
where GOOSEBERRY lays.
Anyway, I thought I'd like to acknowledge and share GOOSEBERRY'S very short
little life with you all and to let her/him know just how very much s/he
would have been treasured if s/he had lived.
I'm devastated for Snap and I have to admit, for a very teary 'me' too.  I
was so looking forward to having my first 'grandpiglets' to look after.
Snap (the mum) is quite blue, although she's out in the sunshine, on green
lush grass at the moment and seems to be 'tucking-in' ok.
 Thanks for sharing and acknowledging this little life.
God bless baby Gooseberry.
Love Sarah S., The Guys (Tribble, Monty, Tommy & Bramble-pig) & Snap (Mum),
Crackle & Pop