[Gpdd] Health: Speedy

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Sat Sep 11 18:17:23 EDT 2004

Dear Jim,
Last night I thought I sent an email to you and the gpdd yet I can find no
record of it. I read only yesterday about Speedy's decline. He did pretty well
there for a while, didn't he? And it seems that Sassy Suzi had a procedure that
helped a urinary problem. There was a point after losing Koko that everyone
(pig) seemed to have problems.
       Aby followed Koko and now Speedy seems to be drawing near the Bridge.
       I can so relate when you say "being no spring chicken yourself...."
My own mortality is a concern that I, too, have and the reason I think I
shouldn't have weakened and taken  2 of the Ohio rescue babies. Dawnda's pictures of
her new babies were just so tempting!! But really -- we may all go on for
several years and in the meantime these piggies are getting love and care. (Not
to mention how much I enjoy them!) But like you, I wonder, what if ??? and hate
to see family members seeing these little wonders as problems. Truth is, I
don't think they would see them that way. Also, in such a case I suspect that
someone on the gpdd might offer one or two a good home! I would in such a case
even as things are right now.
       Apart from a situation like the above, don't intend to take on any
others -- unless I'm suddenly doing great -- and then I would take in adult GP or
two. Rather morbid but realistic thinking. (I swear though, my life line has
lengthened since taking up with the Jolly Rodents! Great companions.)
       I'm doing a long round about way of saying I'm sorry Speedy's life is
winding down. I NEVER expected Ebeneezer to leave so soon.
       In the email that apparently went off somewhere in cyberspace, I
mentioned that I had Ebe sedated before his actual euthanasia injection.  It was
peaceful and gentle and I held and stroked him until his heart had completely
stopped beating. (And for quite a while afterward, actually.)

       My heart hurts for you, knowing the vigil you're keeping.

       There are so many GPs out there needing homes -- many of them adults.
Giving love on to yet another keeps the candle burning.

God bless,
Alge