[Gpdd] RainBow Bridge: Lexie

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Mon Sep 13 19:05:59 EDT 2004

Dear Teresa,
       In retrospect I suppose a vet saying give a whole syringe of mineral
oil should have sent up red flags everywhere, especially after being treated 2
days earlier (thereabouts?) for diarrhea. You knew it was way too much and
said so here, Someone else (Cindy?) posted to you suggesting a considerably
lesser amount.
       I haven't been online much recently but now really regret not using
the time since your post to try and learn what I could about
diarrhea/constipation. I NEVER  expected Lexie's problem to end as it has. I am so very sorry for
you.
       This is such a terrible experience, but perhaps little Lexie was not
conscious of what was going on within her body those last hours. Consciousness
is sometimes dimmed for the being who is experiencing what appears to be great
distress.
       We trust the judgment of our vets -- at least we are supposed to be
able to do so. Unfortunately, things don't always work out well. (Someone must
graduate at the bottom of every class, no?)
       In any case, my guess is that there was something more going on and
the diarrhea was a symptom of a serious intestinal problem. Perhaps only the
symptom was treated and the constipation then was a side effect. This is purely
speculation on my part, by the way.

       Get comfortable with Peter Gurney's Health site and here is the web
address to another helpful site -- Seagull's GP Compendium:
http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/

       Don't blame yourself -- you certainly made every effort to help your
little one and, most important of all, she was loved during her life. That
means so very much.

My deepest and most sincere sympathy,
Alge