[Gpdd] HEALTH: health problems with piggies

Jenni jenni at beethoven.com
Tue Sep 14 13:20:42 EDT 2004

Misty and everyone, hello!
I understand about the health problems!  I realize I have been VERY
fortunate healthwise with the 3 piggies I have owned (now 5) in my life.
My first "Piggy" lived for 8 years!!!  I didn't know ANYTHING about piggys
then, things seem to have come further in piggy information about care since
then.  He had frequent UTI's (blood in urine) that were always treated
successfully with antibiotics and a fungal infection once on his chin that
cleared up with meds and no more plastic dishes.  He finally started
suffering from renal failure and had to be helped to the bridge.  I think I
got incredibly lucky with him!
My 2nd piggy, Stevie (after Stevie Nicks), only lived 2 years, dying within
a day of a mysterious problem.  It's like he became paralyzed in the
rear...have seen since in Peter Gurney's book something about a calcium
deficiency causing something like this (calcium affects muscle function).
But, hopefully never have to deal with that again...
And then of course Beethoven.  He was SO HEALTHY and shiny.  Never any
problems.  Except that hernia after partying too hard at Cape Alava, but
that resolved unbelievably!!  4 years old.  Then that stone.  Think he may
have started to have acute kidney problems perhaps, maybe as cause of and
result of stone, and that's why he passed away day after the surgery,
because the vet said the surgery really seemed to go very well and he was
surprised and shocked that he never bounced back.  Lab work could have shown
kidney problems before the surgery, but I didn't suggest to have it done.
Next time I'll do lab work as well as x-rays!!!  HOPEFULLY that won't be
anytime soon if EVER!!!  But I guess I have to be realistic.
I think, very importantly, as my husband reminds me,  we try so hard to take
the BEST care of our babies and blame ourselves when health problems arise
(what did I do or not do right...) BUT remember HEREDITY and BREEDING play
VERY large parts in their health.  And sometimes a piggy JUST GETS SICK.
Like people.  We can only do our best and most importantly, LOVE THEM LOTS
AND LOTS!!!  Now...I should read this regularly and take my OWN advice!!!  I
WORRY all the time!  The pets get better health care than I do!!  I'm just
a hopeless slave forever, what can I say!!!!
                                 Warm wheeks, Jenni & Charley & Wolfi