[Gpdd] [CARE] what do pigs need?

Chas cacosta at brightdsl.net
Tue Sep 14 22:44:16 EDT 2004

Hi all,
When I was a young girl (around 9 or 10) I had a guinea pig that I loved very much, but there wasn't much available on care for a piggy. So, she lived in an aquarium full of shaving (not even sure what type of shavings they were), ate pellets (not even sure if they were rabbit or guinea pig) and was held and cuddled whenever I could. She eventually died from pneumonia when my step-father left the window open while I was out of town.
Now that I am a parent, I wanted my children to have a pet to love and care for like I did. But, I want to be informed on the best way to care for our new family member. We had a hamster that died in June. I bought my son a pig for his 11th b-day on July 7th. We purchased him at a commercial store (didn't know there where rescued pigs waiting to be adopted). While we were there we bought a medium sized cage without a wire floor, some food, a log to sleep under and some shavings. After some research I discovered that they need vitamins in the water, hay to nibble on and a place to run and play. Eddy gets 8 oz. of vitamin fortified water a day (he only drinks about 2-3 oz a day), all the timothy hay he can nibble and some pellets to munch. We also give him grapes and carrots for special treats. He was living in my son's room with limited people contact. We moved him to our living room and made a pig pen for him to get some extra room. I also trim his nail monthly. Any suggestions that would make my piggy happier would be greatly appreciated.

Chasity, Eddy's mommy

PS I also found some lice and he goes to the vet for treatment and a complete checkup tomorrow.