[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <RE: need advice>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 01:05:25 EDT 2004

If your cavy was crying when she was peeing, I would
think your vet also should have checked for bladder
stones with an x-ray. I looked up Panacur on GLynx,
and it says that it is a safe medication to use for
the treatment of giardia, an intestinal parasite. Do
you know the name of the parasite that was found?
All cavies have bald spots behind their ears. If she
is scratching more than usual, it may be wise to treat
for mites with Ivermectin. If she is still crying when
she is urinating though, I would find a good cavy vet
and ask for xrays, and test for a URI. That sounds
like a serious symptom that shouldn't be ignored.
I would highly recommend getting an inexpensive scale
and weighing her on a regular basis. Weight loss is a
good indicator of an underlying health problem. You
can get scales lots of places, including (of course)
Walmart. If you do notice she is losing weight, that
would be a real reason to make a vet appt.
Best of luck,
Lauren, Piglet and Pooh

hello, everyone!
im new to this digest and pal to POOPSY for a good
year and a half now.
thank you to everyone who posts.. im learning TONS and
being a better
caretaker.

i need your wise advice.

poopsy, since april, was squeakin in pain when she
went to the bathroom.
I took her to the vet and he did a urine and feces
test and found nothing.
she continued to squeak and was losing wait so took
her to ANOTHER vet.
he found worms in the feces.  he prescribed panacur.

I recently dropped off a sample and it came out
negative!
however, im still worried about poopsie.
she eats but does seem to gain much weight.
also, behind her ears, she is losing hair.  she
scratched a lot behind her
ears and may be a reason why she is losin her.  she
hasnt been losing patches
anywhere else on her body.

does anyone have advice for me?  i feel like takin her
to another mroe
qualified vet but dont really have the funds right
now.  what should i do?  should i
be feedin her differnt things?
ive read some postings re: mites?  does this sound as
if she has them?

thanx for your support!
shweta & poopsy

=====
EACH YEAR in the United States, MILLIONS of healthy companion animals are euthanized simply because they can not find homes.
Adopt a homeless pet.
Become a foster home.
Have your cats and dogs spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!