[Gpdd] Care: Piggy Snacks

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Thu Sep 16 01:58:26 EDT 2004

Hi Chastity,
       You'll probably get a lot of email on foods with which to supplement
you new little guy's diet. GPs cannot manufacture their own vit. C (neither can
we so if we don't get it from outside sources we get scurvy -- not common
these days, of course).
       Iceberg lettuce is pretty much a no-no -- no nutrituion value, high
water content. But occasionally a leaf doesn't hurt and the water content can
come in handy while traveling with pig. The other lettuces such as romaine,
endive, etc. are much better suited as are certain other greens -- parsley,
cilantro, etc. Green pipper slices are an excellent vitamin source and most love
them. Cantaloupe -- rinse outside before cutting -- they enjoy the rind as well
as a bit of the melon. Ditto water mellon rinds. A grape or two, a slice of
banana (I have never had my GPs get diarrhea from fresh fruits buit I suppose its
possible to over do on some. By the way, my don't get all these things daily
-- romaine or a similar lettuce --yes!! Daily. They love carrots but don't
over do.
       My piggies and I "snack" together. I open a grape, hold it between
cage bars and a happy guinea big takes it -- after passing out 4 such grapes (4
piggies) then I get a few and we start again. (I've been doing much beter on
fruits and veggies since my piggies have come into my life.)
       When dandelions are in season -- as long as you do NOT use chemicals
on your lawn or harvest them along the side of a road where there's a lot of
car exhaust, they a a GP favorite. They love the leaves and most love the
flowers and stems, too.
       Agian -- if there are no chemicals on your lawn, handsful of fresh
grass.
       Oh -- no "white" veggies -- such as potatoes, lima beans (I know they
aren't white) and no rhubarb. Toxic to pigs.
       An ear of corn -- strip off the outside husk (not not all the husk --
leave the cleaner inner husk -- break off the brown part of the tassle and
rinse well to get pesticides off. Corn on the cob itself (with husk and silk) is
a very occasional treat (but my guys love it) but the clean inner husks and
corn silk are always fine. Slice off the top of a strawberry or 2 or three --
fruit and green stem. Many guinea pigs like straberries and blueberies.
       Excuse typos  :) -- and enjoy the new companion.
       By the way -- it sounds like you've already got a great set-p for Eddy
-- even room to play! That's so important.

All best,
Alge