[Gpdd] MISC - BIG thanks from Harvey and his Mama!

Nicola Atkins sunnyhunny964 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 16 16:20:46 EDT 2004

Hi all!

Sorry it's taken so long for me to say it (I'm not great at keeping up with
sending mails, and I have been having loads of problems with Hotmail
lately!), but from Mama it's a big sigh of relief and a 'Thank-you' for all
the people who've mailed me with advice, and a big wheeek from Harvey for
his very satisfactory new diet and the tips you all sent! I didn't expect
everybody to be so friendly, or for this to be such a great little
community, but I've been pleasantly surprised! You're all great!

On one hand, all the little stories about our piggie friends make me laugh
or tut, but on the other hand, it's so heartbreaking to hear of all the
little fellas passing over The Bridge. My heart goes out to all of you
who've lost your babies. When I kept piggies before, we were breeding them,
and by the end we had over twenty of them (and not one of them could I get
rid of, so the whole house was over-run with them! The little critters were
everywhere I turned!!), so with that amount, it's inevitable that you're
going to get some pass over. Every time it happened, I was so distraught, I
swore I wouldn't get any more when they all went, but it felt more and more
empty and I found myself making up the numbers - especially when I saw them
in the Pet Shops and it broke my heart at how they were being treated.

I actually got Harvey from a PetSmart, but the reason I picked him was all
the others in his pen were resting, and he was sat in the middle of them
all, wide awake, staring out at me with his feisty little character. Our
eyes locked; and as soon as I looked into those big black eyes, saw that
little face, I HAD to have him, without a single doubt. He was and still is,
totally gorgeous! And I know I made the right choice. To all of those who
recommended Timothy Hay - you were so right. He loves it miles more than the
meadow hay he was getting before, and now I know I can relax about feeding
him grass, I do, every day, and I've also started to add a few Dandelion
leaves in with his grass supply, which he LOVES! So big thanks from Harvey
for all your tips!

The the person who asked about her piggy wheeking when she goes to the
fridge - my Harvey lives in the living room, seperated by two doors from the
kitchen, but everytime I go in the fridge, he still wheeks his head off,
even that far away! He also goes crazy when I open any kind of bag, rustle
paper, and even open the drawers below him (I keep his honey sticks in
there!!). He doesn't miss a thing.

I have just got a book out of the local library called the 'Guinea Pig
Lopaedia'. Looks interesting, and I'm always on the look-out for new piggie
info anyway. If I find any interesting stuff, I shall let you all know!

Wheeeeeeeeks from Harvey and sighs from his Mama!