[Gpdd] HEALTH - Various problems you're all having!

Nicola Atkins sunnyhunny964 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 18 07:22:38 EDT 2004

Right, I'm going to try and help some of you now!! (Deep breaths!). I've
bitten my tongue for far too long now!!! Sorry, but I can't remember any of
the names (I have a terrible memory!), so I'll just put the answers that I
think apply!

To the person who's piggy was moulting round her bum. If the hair-loss were
closer to her tummy then I would suggest an ovarian cyst (apparently these
are very common, especially in older piggies), but if it is round her bottom
only, then I can only suggest some sort of irritation is making her tear it
out?

To all worried about their piggies eating their faeces - it's 100% normal,
and don't stop them from doing it, as the droppings contain essential
vitamins that the guinea pig actually needs. They will especially eat the
softer droppings, as these are the ones that contain the undigested vitamins
from their food. The harder ones are more or less left, as any vitamins from
these have already been digested by the pig. Apparently, piggies do up to
150 of these soft droppings per day, most of which are eaten. So don't worry
- my Harvey is always eating his, especially when he is out of the cage and
I have him on my lap!

And as for the liquid vitamins you put into the water - well I was told by a
vet that these are 100% safe and good for your piggie! I know there is so
much conflicting evidence on this subject, so some people do and some people
don't, I guess it's just a matter of preference. My Harvey has Ultra Care
Vita Sol (In a white bottle), has had it ever since I got him over eighteen
months ago, and he has had no problems at all with this type of vitamins
(which do contain 100% of their vit c allowance too, so no worries there).
In fact, he actually likes the taste of this disgusting looking yelllow
liquid and will not drink his water if I do not put it in! It gives his
water that added 'kick' I think! In fact, the vitamins he has smell exactly
like my human multi-vitamin tablets, and the yellow liquid is even the same
colour. I think it's probably exactly the same thing!!

Anyway, I hope this has helped some of you - all I want to do is help, they
way you've all helped me!

Wheeeeeks from Harvey and good luck to you all from his Mama!