[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT - another new addition

a.mills at portset.net a.mills at portset.net
Mon Sep 20 12:26:26 EDT 2004

Well, what can I say.  It's the first day of my fortnight's holiday from work.  I went to the pet shop to get a new air pump for one of my fish tanks because my old pump has packed up and ended up coming home with another guinea pig as well.  He's a little ginger and white abbie, but his coat is very soft for an abbie.  I think one of the main reasons I fell for him is because he reminded me very much of a guinea pig I had about 13 years ago, Piggy.  Piggy was a guinea pig we bred ourselves and she also had an abbie type coat that was very soft.  She was always a very quiet little girl, very easy to handle.  This in itself made her a favourite but we also had some problems later on in her life with her which made her even more of a favourite because we put so much time to her.  The first time she became ill, we thought she was choking on something.  She was breathing heavily and kept opening her mouth.  However, she didn't appear to be wheezing so we weren't sure what was go!
ing on.  We took her to the vet and he treated her but didn't think she'd make it because her breathing was so bad.  However, the next day she was fine again.  We thought that was the end of it but unfortunately this kept happening.  She'd be fine for 2 or 3 weeks and then have another attack.  The only thing we can think is that it was some sort of asthma that she had.  This intermittent problem went on for over 12 months.  Unfortunately, we eventually lost her during a spell of very hot weather.  She was a very special little guinea pig and this new boy just reminds me of her.  I know you can never get another animal exactly the same as one you've already had but there was just something about him that reminded me of her.  He's really cute at the moment, just a little ball of fluff.  However, there's just one draw back.  Now I've got him, I'll have to look out for a little friend for him.  This means that, in the not too distant future, there will probably be another new a!
ddition to the family.