[Gpdd] [HEALTH} Revolution for mites

Stacy Smith smts37 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 15:21:35 EDT 2004

Hello to everyone and their piggies,
I had a question concerning the topical medication,
Revolution.  I took Kieran and Jasper to the vet on
Monday, as they were scratching, starting to lose
hair, and I could see what looked like dandruff on
their faces.  Also, I could see the "dandruff" moving!
:(    After examining them, the vet diagnosed it as
"walking danduff" (a type of mite), and gave them a
very small dose of Revolution (created for puppies and
kittens).  He said that this would take care of it.
Does anyone else have experience with Revolution on
gpigs?  If so, your comments would be greatly
appreciated! ;)

The boys seem to be acting happier today, popcorning
in their cage and eating well.  Also, my husband and I
made them a new cavy cage and we are anxious to put
them in it.  The vet said that they could go in it
today (Wednesday) as they would be mite-free.
However, I don't want to disinfect two cages!  I was
wondering when they should be mite-free and ready for
their new cage?  Also, is this type of mite
species-specific or can it be transmitted to humans,
too?

Thanks!
Stacy, mommy to Jasper and Kieran