[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Soft Feces

Ann Ramus ann at stcgrenada.com
Sun Sep 26 20:24:34 EDT 2004

Mr. Stacey, my 3 year old rescued guinea pig has developed soft feces,
not diarrhea. Since the beginning of September his fecal pellets have
been soft. He is eating and drinking normally and loves to run around
his outdoor pen which is 32 feet long by 8 feet wide. I give him fresh
timothy or coastal hay everyday. He eats Cavy Cuisine pellets. I have
stopped feeding him green pepper and just give a half a carrot/day as a
treat. He had been on oral 2.5% Baytril for 4 weeks for a tooth root
infection in July. He was given a probiotic 3 times/day when he was on
Baytril and for a week after he was off the Baytril. At first his feces
where normal. But in September he developed soft feces. I have given him
probiotic once a week since then but it does not seem to help. What
could be wrong with him? I also gave him for 3 days Pet Pectillin
diarrhea medication that contains only pectin and Kaolin. That made the
feces firmer but as soon as I dicontinued it the feces were wet again.
Has anyone ever given Pepto-Bismol to a Cavy? I would appreciate any
help that you can give. Please feel free to post your advice or write to
me at ann at stcgrenada.com.
Thank You