[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] Sleeping

Shelly Atkinson satkinson at rkci.com
Fri Apr 1 13:44:58 EST 2005

It's funny but I really never see my Reba totally asleep. If I walk by
her enclosure she may be lying their half asleep but her eyes always
seem to be a little open. "Ok mom, I am not asleep, are you going to
give me some attention or how about some parsley."  She can snuggle with
me for a long time but a deep sleep is something I never see. I think
she is like her ancestors in the wild to where she always has to keep
one eye open when snoozing to be aware of danger. One great thing about
Reba is that she is always ready to be picked up and she is always aware
when I am around the cage and she lets me know with her wheeeeks of joy
to get some attention.
I guess for the piggys that sleep on their side seem to be very
comfortable and fully trust their surroundings. I never see Reba on her
side but I guess all GPs are different. I would think that is a
wonderful thing for a pig to be very comfortable to sleep on their side,
which is a vulnerable position since they can't take off and run as
fast. I have a question; do GPs ever sleep on their backs? If they do,
boy would that be a cute and very trusting piggy. I would love to see a
photo of that.

Shelly Atkinson