[Gpdd] [CARE] Tar-like buildup on male piggies

Maren Fouts butzm at ece.osu.edu
Fri Apr 1 21:52:29 EST 2005

Sherry,

My Sam has the exact same problem.  I asked his vet about it and was told
to clean it with alcohol. Apparently, they have glands that excrete stuff
back there.  Now, Sam really doesn't like this process.  I tend to take a
tissue or a cotton ball with plenty of alcohol on it.  I have to rub and
Sam squeals a lot.  I'm convinced he's a drama queen because he does the
same thing when getting his toenails clipped whereas Rosie is much calmer.
 Although, I do try to minimize how much he experiences this because I
don't like making him unhappy.  Once I put him down, he's quite happy
again so I've never seen any traumatizing effects of this alcohol
cleaning.  I've tried to cut his hair back there before and every time I
touch him he jumps and does a complete 180 degrees so now I have to get my
husband to help me because I'm afraid that I'll accidentally poke him
with the scissors.

Good luck!
Maren, Rosie, and the sticky and overly dramatic Sam