[Gpdd] (Health) re: Tar-like substance on male piggies

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 09:49:11 EST 2005

Sherry,
What you're experiencing with your piggy is an
over-active grease gland. All males have the gland,
but some piggies' grease glands go haywire. I liken it
to acne in teenagers. My boar Willie has a problem
with his and I have to watch it carefully because the
oily goo will start spreading up his back. It's not
dangerous (that I know of) but you do want to keep the
area clean because that dirty spot is attractive to
mites.
I use a household degreaser called "Simple Green". It
comes in a spray bottle and smells like sassafras.
It's supposed to be all natural and non-toxic. I've
used it with good results. I just spray it on the spot
and rub it in well (it may take more then one
application to get all the goo off) then rinse the
spot and bathe with small animal shampoo. I have to
"de-grease" the spot every couple of months...I'm
hoping that since Willie is over 2 years old now the
gland will stop over-producing.
Hope this helps!

Stacy and the Squee Squad (including greasy-bottomed Willie!)